Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM) Members are grouped into 14 sectors. The sectors are defined based on the UNIDO classification, and the type of raw materials respective companies import or the products they manufacture.
This way, members in a particular sector form a cohesive group with common issues of concern. This enables various sectors to prepare common policy positions for joint advocacy and negotiation with relevant government institutions in addressing issues of grave concern.
The Sectors are headed by Chairs, who are elected by members of a particular sector. The Sector Chairs are assisted by Vice-Chairs and Sector Officers. The Sectors are further broken down into Sub-sectors, which are categorized using the following criteria:
- Primary processor
- Process uniqueness
- Raw material commonality
- Product function
- Industry critical
KAM Sectors include:
The sector is categorized into two broad categories: Food and Non-Food Based.
- Sugar and sweeteners: The sub-sector comprises of producers of sugar, other plant extract sweeteners.
- Grain processors and animal feeds: The sub-sector comprises of manufacturers of dry cereals derivatives for human and animal foods.
- Fresh produce: The sub-sector comprises of producers of potatoes, tomatoes, horticultural produce, avocado, mangoes, passion fruits, bananas etc.
- Tea and coffee: It comprises primary producers of tea and coffee.
- Agricultural farm inputs and equipment: The subsector comprises of manufacturers of farm inputs such as fertilisers and assembly or manufacturer equipment used in agriculture sector value chain.
- Floriculture: It comprises of companies who produce cut flowers.
The sector comprises three sub-sectors:
- Vehicle Assemblers (4 Wheelers): Manufacturers of wheels, commercial & agriculture vehicles as well as body builders.
- Vehicle parts manufacturers: Members include those who manufacture various parts, for example, filters, exhaust, among others. etc.
- Motorcycle Assemblers: Manufacturers of motorcycles and their parts
- Bus bodybuilders: Comprises bus bodybuilders.
Building, Mining and Construction
The sector is divided into:
- Cement & Allied: Manufacturers of cement, concrete paving blocks, clay roofing tiles, cement manufactured products
- Quarry Products and Mining: Producers of ballast, quarry machine-cut masonry stones Building and Construction Accessories: Manufacturers of PVC/PP/CPVC Pipes
Chemical & Allied
The Chemical and Allied Sector is divided into four sub-sectors namely:
- Agro-chemical: Manufacturers of chemicals used in agriculture, including pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers, among others. It also includes manufacturers of animal related medicaments.
- Paint and Resins: Manufacturers of paint and resins.
- Cosmetics and personal care and hygiene: Manufacturers of cosmetics and skin care; artificial hair and hair care products, soaps, detergent, sanitiser, disinfectants, tissue products, diapers and sanitary pads. The sub-sector also provides for products such as diapers and sanitary towels.
- Chemical Convertors: Manufacturers of foam mattresses and other general chemical handling companies.
Energy, Electrical and Electronics
The sector members are distributed in the following sub-sectors:
- Petroleum products: Manufacturers of petroleum and lubricants.
- Energy and renewable energy: Comprises energy generators, both government and private, who use wind, biofuel, diesel, solar.
- Electrical and accessories: Producers of electrical cables and electrical accessories.
- Electronics, equipment and accessories: Manufacturers of Commercial and consumer electronics, lifts, machinery and equipment.
Food and Beverages
This is the largest sector in the Association. It constitutes the following sub-sectors:
- Alcoholic Beverages & Spirits: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of Beer, distilled spirits, wines etc.
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of fruit-based drinks, flavoured drinks, carbonated soft drinks (CSDs), energy drinks, cocoa drinks, tea and coffee roasters, packers and blenders, bottled water etc.
- Baked products and other processed cereals: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of bread, biscuits, cakes, baby foods, breakfast cereals etc.
- Confectionary, snack foods, spreads, and condiments: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of sweets, chocolates, chewing gums, crisps, nuts, other snack foods, honey and spices, jams, sauces, dressings, additives, flavourings, preservatives etc.
- Dairy and dairy derivatives: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, ghee, milk powder, ice-cream etc.
- Meat and fish products: The sub-sector consists of manufacturers of processed meat and fish products etc.
- Edible Oil: The sub-sector comprises manufacturers of palm, corn, sunflower, canola, and soya bean oils.
- Salt Sub-Sector: The Sub-Sector is made up of salt manufacturing companies.
Leather and Footwear
The Leather and Footwear Sector has the following sub-sectors:
- Tanneries: Those involved in the tanning, currying, finishing, embossing and japanning of leather.
- Footwear: Manufacturers of footwear, leather artifacts.
- Leather products
Metal and Allied
The Metal and Allied sector has the following sub-sectors:
- Smelting and hot rolling: Manufacturers of reinforcement bars, angle irons, flat bars, channels and window sections.
- Cold rolling and allied products: Manufacturers of sheet colour coating.
- Wire product converters: Manufacturers of nails, weld mesh, binding wire, rivets, barbed wire, welding rods, bolts and nuts.
- Steel fabricators: Assemblers of steel buildings, tanks fabricators, engineering goods (furniture).
- Aluminium extrusion and fabricators: Manufacturers of aluminium circles and utensils, aluminium plain sheets, tread plates, aluminium roofing sheets, aluminium pre painted and unpainted coils and aluminium closure stocks.
- Pipes and tubes: Manufacturers of galvanised tubes and hollow sections.
The Paper Sector sub-sectors include:
- Paper manufacturers: Pulp and recycled paper manufacturers, biowaste paper manufacturers.
- Paper converters: Manufacturers of packaging (paper bags, cartons etc), paper articles (exercise books, paper disposal consumables).
- Printers and Allied Industries: Comprises Members in the printing sector.
Pharmaceutical and Medical Equipment
The sector Members are classified into the following sub-sectors:
- Manufacturers of medicine including antibiotics, anti-malaria drugs, anti-amoebic, analgesics, antidiarrheals, antacids, tranquilizers, antispasmodics, vitamins and anti-ulcers, intravenous solutions and plastic disposable syringes.
- Manufacturers of medical equipment.
Plastics and Rubber
The sector is classified into the following sub-sectors:
- Plastic converters (packaging): Manufacturers of PET containers, blow moulded containers, flexible PP and laminate packaging, PP woven & non-woven packaging.
- Plastic and Rubber Converters (other products): Plastic household goods, plastic footwear, rubber products etc.
- Non-woven PPP.
- PET-Sub-Sector: It comprises of manufacturers and users of PET in local industry. These include converters, bottlers, users and recyclers.
Textile and Apparels Sector
The sector Members are categorized into:
- Export Processing Zone (EPZ) Apparel Sub-Sector: This comprises Textile and Apparels manufacturers based in the Export Processing Zones (EPZ). They are mainly regulated by the Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZA).
- Textile Manufacturers: The Sub-Sector comprises raw fabric manufacturers.
- Apparel/Garment Manufacturers: Comprises of manufacturers in apparel stitching (both local and EPZ).
This sector is made up of three sub-sectors:
- Timber converters: The sub-sector comprises furniture manufacturers, particleboards and assemblers.
- Furniture: Manufacturers of furniture and fixtures.
- Wood Products: Manufacturers of lumber, sash, doors, window and door frames, other wooden building materials and prefabricated wooden parts and structures; veneer, plywood, hard board and particle board; cooperage and other wood stock and excelsior. Included also is the preservation of wood.
Services and Consultants
The Service and Consultants Sector Membership is drawn from companies that offer financial, IT and professional services. They include service industries such as banks, insurance firms, legal firms, HR experts, transporters, communication, clearing and forwarding, and advertising. It also has specialized consultants on areas such as water, environment, energy among others.
For more information on KAM Sectors, contact email@example.com.