Statement by the Edible Oil Sub Sector – Kenya Association Of Manufacturers
In reference to media reports published on the 1st of August 2019 on the release of imported edible oils worth Ksh10 billion to the public, we, the members of the Edible Oils Sub – Sector under Kenya Association of Manufacturers would like to state the following;
- The Government of Kenya, through the fortification standards, requires that all edible oils imported or sold in the country are fortified with vitamin A to correct or prevent a demonstrated micronutrient deficiency.
- It has been reported that this consignment had been held at the port from May of 2018 due to concerns raised on required standards by the Multi-Agency Task Force. The Multi-Agency Taskforce’s objective is to ensure that goods coming into the country are of good quality, will not distort the market through unfair competition, and most importantly, are fit for human consumption.
- The reports have also indicated that the released edible oil lacks the required fortification, and have raised the issue with the storage of the oil at the port for a long period of time, which may have compromised its quality.
- We ask that these allegations be urgently investigated and the required standards upheld in order to safeguard the health and safety of consumers in the country.
- It is also important that the matter is dealt with swiftly to prevent market distortion, by giving an unfair advantage to the imported edible oil. There is also need to ensure that any duties imposed on the imported oil are paid.
- We have written to the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Industry, Trade and Cooperatives, Mr. Peter Munya, and requested him to reconsider this decision especially in light of the health and safety concerns of all citizens.
- We have also written to the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government, Dr. Fred Matiang’i in his capacity as Chair of the National Development Implementation Committee for the Big Four Agenda, to request for an urgent meeting on this critical issue.
- Most of all we look forward to swift and urgent resolution of this matter towards securing the health and safety of the nation, and to curtail similar incidences that may want to take advantage of this situation in the future.
Edible Oil Subsector – KAM