KAM Statement on confirmation of first case of coronavirus in Kenya
In reference to the statement made by the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Health regarding the presence of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country, Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM) has taken the following precautionary measures and actions within its mandate;
- KAM has put in place a guide for its employees in line with the recommendations made by the Ministry of Health. This has also been extended to all its members.
- We have developed Standard Operating Procedures for the workplace to guide the Association and its members during this time.
- KAM is also mobilising its members to amplify the nation-wide hygiene campaign and the need for the public to practice sanitary procedures in public and private spaces.
- The Association has cancelled all prior planned events and forums for the next 30 days pending advice from the Ministry of Health on the situation’s progress.
- KAM advocates that the rule of law prevails during this time and that all producers and distributors continue to uphold existing contractual obligations, especially with regard to price controls for the sake of consumers.
- We also encourage the public to seek factual information with regards to COVID-19 to avoid exacerbating the situation by panic buying. We urge consumers to keep calm as industry and Government are working together to ensure that no significant shortages hit the market.
- The Association will provide a live database of locally manufactured finished goods through our website (www.kam.co.ke) and portal (www.mykam.co.ke), effective Tuesday, 17th March 2020 at 0800hrs. This is aimed at addressing any gaps that may stem from the shortage of finished products in the local market.
- We will continue to engage the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Enterprise Development on progress updates. We will also keep our employees and members abreast of any developments and monitor the impact of the disease on industry through weekly surveys and data collection.
- The health and safety of our employees, members and partners is a top priority. We look forward to a swift and urgent resolution to manage the virus and contain its spread.
- We shall keep updating members and the public regularly during this time.
KAM Chief Executive